giraph-dev mailing list archives

From Claudio Martella <claudio.marte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: LongDoubleFloatDoubleVertex
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2013 09:01:40 GMT
Imagine you're infering an "is_a" property. e.g. you have lion - is_a ->
mammal - is_a -> animal. by propagation you'd infer lion - is_a -> animal.
Clearly, i'm talking about a graph that does not only have is_a typed edges.

Two things can be noted: (1) one could filter out non is_a edges directly
at loading in this case but (2) you'd want more complex of these, e.g. a
path (a concatenation of is_a with lives_in or something?) to find out at
query time or something.

This is one example. I think most of our algorithms out there touch all the
edges and iterate over (why else using such a big framework and loading the
whole graph at first place?), so I'd optimise for them or avoid penalising
them, but I would not remove from the API random access to edges either.
After all, the idea is to have them implement their (to come) Edges class.

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 9:37 AM, Alessandro Presta <alessandro@fb.com> wrote:

> On 3/1/13 12:33 AM, "Claudio Martella" <claudio.martella@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 5:13 AM, Alessandro Presta <alessandro@fb.com>
> >wrote:

> >> Ok, but having to copy the keys and values to external arrays (which is
> >> what you have to do with Mahout's hash map) is even worse. A good
> >> implementation of (long, double) edges (e.g. for RandomWalkVertex) is
> >> primitive arrays.

> >>for

> >>random
> >>
> >> Can you give me some concrete examples of algorithms where random access
> >> to the edges is required?
> >> I'm really interested in this, because I'm considering killing
> >> getEdgeValue() if there are no use cases.
> >>

> >My example would be typed/labeled graphs (e.g. RDF) for reasoning and
> >traversals based on particular patterns/path.
> >

> Can you be a bit more specific? I'm interested in knowing if this
> algorithm would call getEdgeValue(id) for some target vertex id.

> >> Whoops, totally missed that part.

> >>yet.
> >>
> >> I'll take a look at HPPC and Mahout collections then. They all seem to
> >> provide the same stuff, so I'll consider benchmarks and convenience of
> >>the
> >> API. Thanks for the pointers.

> >>algorithms
> >>how