giraph-dev mailing list archives

From Alessandro Presta <alessan...@fb.com>
Subject Re: LongDoubleFloatDoubleVertex
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2013 04:13:17 GMT
On 2/28/13 5:08 PM, "Jake Mannix" <jake.mannix@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 4:18 PM, Alessandro Presta
><alessandro@fb.com>wrote:
>
>> It's not like it causes problems, it's just that it's a pretty big
>> dependency to justify for a small example.
>>
>> As for the motivation, if your point is to prove the framework's
>> superiority in some context, then you can use the simplest possible
>> implementation (ArrayList).
>>

>This takes up LOTS of memory.  Primitives rule, objects drool (memory).

Ok, but having to copy the keys and values to external arrays (which is
what you have to do with Mahout's hash map) is even worse. A good
implementation of (long, double) edges (e.g. for RandomWalkVertex) is
primitive arrays.

>> The Giraph framework is all about iterating over edges, so an
>> implementation that doesn't support that with reasonable efficiency
>> doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
>>
>> It also follows that hash map-based implementations only make sense for
>> algorithms that make use of mutations.
>>

>Agreed, maps aren't absolutely necessary for immutable graphs.  But random
>access to collections of integers _is_ necessary for many algorithms.
>It's
>not all just iteration over lists.

Can you give me some concrete examples of algorithms where random access
to the edges is required?
I'm really interested in this, because I'm considering killing
getEdgeValue() if there are no use cases.

>> That said, something like a Trove hash map would probably be more
>> appropriate (more efficient than the standard Java HashMap, at the
>>expense
>> of generality). That could be a good candidate for a
>> LongDoubleHashMapEdges implementation.
>> I can give that a shot if it sounds good.
>>

>Trove is LGPL, IIRC, so that doesn't work in Apache projects.

Whoops, totally missed that part.

>What does Giraph depend on of Mahout now?  Just mahout-collections?
>That's
>not a very big dependency, and has all sorts of primitive-to-primitive
>collections,
>and from what I've seen benchmarked, just as good or better than Trove.
> Carrot2's
>hppc may be better yet, but I'm not sure if that is stably released yet.

I'll take a look at HPPC and Mahout collections then. They all seem to
provide the same stuff, so I'll consider benchmarks and convenience of the
API. Thanks for the pointers.