giraph-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Quintana <quintana.tho...@gmail.com>
Subject Resource allocation framework
Date Wed, 23 May 2012 19:20:43 GMT
Hi,

My name is Thomas Quintana and I find Giraph to be a very interesting
project. Recently, I have been learning more about Giraph and the project
that inspired it, Google Pregel. My question is why did you guys/gals
choose Hadoop as the resource allocation engine over a solution like Mesos
which actually targets the niche of resource allocation for distributed
data processing frameworks (in an elegant manner)?

Keep in mind that I'm aware of the obvious:
 - Hadoop is proven
 - People know how to use it
 - There are a lot of deployments out there

I know it seems like a bit of a rhetorical question but the reason I ask is
because it doesn't seems to be the right tool for the job as it was not
designed with this purpose in mind. Maybe something like Mesos would be
worth investigating as it allows multiple distributed data processing
frameworks to execute side-by-side and doesn't require users to maintain
multiple infrastructures to run the different frameworks. I look forward to
your response and hope that some good may come out of this discussion.

Best Regards,
Thomas