From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Reasons for shaded modules?
Date Wed, 23 Jun 2010 12:12:27 GMT

On Jun 23, 2010, at 5:03 AM, Stanislav Ochotnicky wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am packaging xbean-3.7 for Fedora Linux and I have one question
> regarding your build. In xbean-asm-shaded module, you are using
> maven-shade-plugin to relocate/repackage asm package. There doesn't
> seem to be anything added, except changing package name. Is this
> correct?

Correct. IIRC, the fundamental motivation for xbean-asm-shaded began with:

> We have stict guidelines for not including bundled dependencies/private
> copies of libraries in our packages so this is a big dealbreaker. I was
> able to compile xbean-reflect module after simple:
>
> sed -i 's/org.apache.xbean.asm/org.objectweb.asm/' \
>    xbean-reflect/src/main/java/org/apache/xbean/recipe/XbeanAsmParameterNameLoader.java
>
> even without xbean-asm-shaded dependency. Is this likely to break
> something?
>
> So basically I have two questions:
> * why not use asm directly but repackage it by itself?
> * is replacing dependency with original asm likely to cause problems?

I thought we had completely unshaded versions of the xbean jars (with no dependency on the
shaded ASM jar) and shaded alternatives.

I don't see a problem with what you've done, but then again, I don't understand/recall why
it wasn't like that to begin with...

--kevan