From Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotni...@redhat.com>
Subject Reasons for shaded modules?
Date Wed, 23 Jun 2010 09:03:46 GMT
Hi,

I am packaging xbean-3.7 for Fedora Linux and I have one question
regarding your build. In xbean-asm-shaded module, you are using
maven-shade-plugin to relocate/repackage asm package. There doesn't
seem to be anything added, except changing package name. Is this
correct?

We have stict guidelines for not including bundled dependencies/private
copies of libraries in our packages so this is a big dealbreaker. I was
able to compile xbean-reflect module after simple:

sed -i 's/org.apache.xbean.asm/org.objectweb.asm/' \
    xbean-reflect/src/main/java/org/apache/xbean/recipe/XbeanAsmParameterNameLoader.java

even without xbean-asm-shaded dependency. Is this likely to break
something?

So basically I have two questions:
 * why not use asm directly but repackage it by itself?
 * is replacing dependency with original asm likely to cause problems?

Thanks for your time,

PGP: 71A1677C