From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: HEADS-UP: ASM 3.1 shaded and org.objectweb.asm becomes org.apache.xbean.asm
Date Tue, 26 May 2009 19:33:49 GMT

On May 26, 2009, at 2:40 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> On May 26, 2009, at 9:44 AM, David Jencks wrote:
>

>> On May 22, 2009, at 6:11 PM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:

>>> Done. It turned out very easy. Thanks for encouragement :)
>>

>> I'm not very happy with the current way this is implemented.  I
>> guess my fundamental point of view is that shading is only needed
>> when you don't have good classloaders such as osgi or (some version
>> of) the geronimo ones.  I don't think the core xbean libraries
>> should make such assumptions about classloaders but should assume
>> good classloading.
>>
>> So I'd prefer that the core xbean libraries use plan asm and that
>> we provide shaded xbean libraries that use the shaded asm jar.  If
>> no one objects I'm happy to set this up.
>
> Ok, the end result will be the same for any G assemblies that pull
> in OpenEJB.  I.e. OpenEJB needs to satisfy the embedded scenario
> where there are just plain classloaders, so the end result is that
> xbean-finder + xbean-reflect + xbean-asm-shaded are still going to
> be required as they are now (or some equivalent form of them).

I posted a patch to XBEAN-128 showing what I have in mind.

- xbean-reflect and xbean-finder use unshaded asm (dependencies should
be provided like they used to be, I guess)
- 2 new modules xbean-finder-shaded and xbean-reflect shaded that are
shaded to use the xbean-asm-shaded jar instead of plain asm jars

So if we go with something like this patch openejb would depend on the
xbean-finder-shaded and xbean-reflect-shaded jars and geronimo might
use the plain ones instead.

One difference between the proposed xbean-finder-shaded and current
trunk xbean-finder is that the proposed -shaded jars don't have a
dependency on xbean-asm-shaded whereas the trunk jars do.  However
this was something of a change as previously xbean-finder listed the
asm jars as scope provided.

thanks
david jencks