From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release XBean 3.4
Date Thu, 08 May 2008 18:01:19 GMT

On May 7, 2008, at 6:08 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> Kevan,
>
> You consistently find more faults with things than my mother-in-
> law.  Is it because you're a fussy bastard or because you have a
> handy tool that we can use before we put forth a vote?

Heh. You do mean "my mother-in-law, who I love dearly" right?

I guess I'm on the fussy bastard side of things. I'll do some set of
the following...

1) run rat against the src (see http://code.google.com/p/arat/). E.g.:
    svn export http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/xbean/tags/xbean-3.4/
    cd xbean-3.4
    java ~/rat-0.5.1.jar .

    And then scan the results

2) Check the LICENSE and NOTICE file in the root of the source tree

3) Check the generated jar files for license/notice files. E.g.:

    ssh people.apache.org
    emacs ~gnodet/public_html/staging/xbean-3.4  (I'm an *old* fussy
bastard ;-).
    and browse around, open some jars (emacs makes this easy) and make
sure things look correct -- i.e. the jars contain LICENSE and NOTICE
files (and these files appear to contain the appropriate info).
    if i'm feeling particularly fussy, i'll check all of the jars.
should be a simple matter to create a script to scan all the jars

4) Check for appropriate license/notice information for embedded
artifacts

    If the project embeds other project's jar files. I'll spot check
for the inclusion of the necessary license/notice files for these
artifacts. Some jars include their license/notice information in the
jars. If there are projects which I don't recognize and they don't
document their license information in their jar file, i'll find their
license information on the web.

5) I've also been known to scan for old-style src license headers.
They seem to reappear every once an a while. To do this, the following
works pretty well

    grep -RL "Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF)" *

--kevan