geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: classloading problem for WARs in an EAR file share classpath
Date Mon, 09 Sep 2013 06:33:05 GMT
I don't think (a) will work since it's entirely possible in an ee situation to have packages
split between a module (e.g. war) and an application library, and we can't reproduce this
with bundles.

One reason I originally liked using a bundle for an ee application is that you can export
classes and then import them into other bundles or ee applications.  However with the increasing
support for individual ee standards directly in osgi bundles this is seeming less important:
if you want to do something like this you can make your application use the osgi versions
of the specs directly instead of using ee packaging.

thanks
david jencks

On Sep 3, 2013, at 7:20 PM, Ivan <xhhsld@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> EE specification leaves this classloader visibility scenario to container, while considering
that most developers have this kind of isolation in their mind, as it is commonly used by
most EE application severs, including Geronimo 2.*. In my opinion, we should fix this, actually,
this is one thing left while Geronimo turned to use OSGi to manage different modules. I could
see the following solutions :

> a. Our original idea is to use N+1 bundles for EAR, we will create each bundle for each
web applications, and create one bundle containing EAR libraries and EJB libraries. One difficult
thing is to build export packages for the later bundle, and generate the according import-packages
for those web application bundles. Another temporary solution is to use Equonix classloader
hook, with that, we could not do the export/import packages generation now.

> b. Copy the Geronimo 2.* classloader codes back to Geronimo 3.*, then only use one bundle
as the parent of EAR classloader, which could be used to load those must classes from server
container.

> 2013/9/4 Jack Cai <cai_jack@us.chanjet.com>
> Yes. The separate wars can be deployed to Geronimo without any problem.
>
> Each war uses hibernate, which is the basis of the DAOs. Since the hibernate library
in each war uses identical package and class names, EAR classloader loads one hibernate library
and one dao from one war, when it comes to load the second dao, it tries to use the first
hibernate, that results in CCE.

> We were hoping to use the classloader isolation of EAR and WAR to manage class loading,
so that one EAR app with multiple wars can be deployed multiple times on the same Geronimo
instance.

> Is there a work-around for this? Thanks.
>
> -Jack
>

> On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 5:11 PM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As far as I can tell, the ee spec doesn't specify that wars in an ear each need their
own classloader.  Geronimo passes the tck, so if I missed any part of the spec that says this
so did the tck writers.

> I probably just haven't looked at an application like this recently, but I'm having trouble
understanding exactly how the CCE arises, especially since the classes appear to be different.

> Can you deploy the wars separately?
>
> thanks
> david jencks
> On Sep 3, 2013, at 3:01 PM, Jack Cai <cai_jack@us.chanjet.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> >   I package two wars in an ear, web1, and web2. nothing else, and deployed to geronimo
(3.0.1)

> > When I tried to access web1, web2's classes are loaded instead. What I found in
the MANIFFEST.MF of the EAR package:

> > Bundle-ClassPath: ...,webdemo-jsp.war/WEB-INF/classes,webdemo2-js
> >  p.war/WEB-INF/classes
> >
> >  after the EAR file is deployed to Geronimo.
> >
> >   This effectively makes all wars visible to all, and causes the type cast error:
> >
> > java.lang.ClassCastException: com.webapp2.dao.Customer cannot be cast to com.webapp.dao.Customer
> >
> >   I thought J2EE app is supposed to isolate classloader of each war to prevent similar
problems. Is there a way to config around this in geronimo? Thanks