geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <>
Subject Re: classloading problem for WARs in an EAR file share classpath
Date Wed, 04 Sep 2013 00:11:03 GMT

As far as I can tell, the ee spec doesn't specify that wars in an ear each need their own
classloader.  Geronimo passes the tck, so if I missed any part of the spec that says this
so did the tck writers.

I probably just haven't looked at an application like this recently, but I'm having trouble
understanding exactly how the CCE arises, especially since the classes appear to be different.

Can you deploy the wars separately?

david jencks
On Sep 3, 2013, at 3:01 PM, Jack Cai <> wrote:

> Hi,
>   I package two wars in an ear, web1, and web2. nothing else, and deployed to geronimo
> When I tried to access web1, web2's classes are loaded instead. What I found in the MANIFFEST.MF
of the EAR package:
> Bundle-ClassPath: ...,webdemo-jsp.war/WEB-INF/classes,webdemo2-js
>  p.war/WEB-INF/classes
>  after the EAR file is deployed to Geronimo.
>   This effectively makes all wars visible to all, and causes the type cast error:
> java.lang.ClassCastException: com.webapp2.dao.Customer cannot be cast to com.webapp.dao.Customer
>   I thought J2EE app is supposed to isolate classloader of each war to prevent similar
problems. Is there a way to config around this in geronimo? Thanks
>   BTW, the ear application is created using Eclipse EAR for Geronimo.
> Thanks.
> -Jack

View raw message