Another approach would be to hide the packages provided by server.  It's a better way to avoid the liberay conflict between the app and server.

<sys:import-package> !org.apache.commons.codec*</sys:import-package>

you can also do the same with this

<sys:hidden-classes> sys:classFilterType </sys:hidden-classes>

if you are using geornimo 2.x