geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Lochschmied, Alexander" <>
Subject AW: Why should I use Geronimo?
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2013 10:44:20 GMT
Thanks Kevan - maybe this should be under a new subject...

I am really concerned about using JSF and want to avoid it. But it seems to be the recommended
way to generate your HTML.
>From what I understand, there shouldn't be any problem just not to use JSF. Instead create
dynamic markup mostly with Javasript and AJAX. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Kevan Miller []
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 9. Januar 2013 16:44
Betreff: Re: Why should I use Geronimo?

On Jan 9, 2013, at 5:50 AM, "Lochschmied, Alexander" <>

> Can it be compared to Play Framework for example?

Geronimo is a lighweight, composable, Java EE-based application server. A full Java EE Geronimo
application server contains multiple technologies (JPA, Servlet/JSP, JSF, JMS, etc.).

I think of the Play Framework as fundamentally a Web Framework (e.g. JSF, Grails, Spring MVC,
etc.). You can run Play applications in standalone mode (I'm not sure if that's what Play
calls it). You can also create a Play application, generate a .war file, and deploy the .war
file on Geronimo.

Hope that helps.

View raw message