geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo connection.
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2012 01:54:04 GMT
Please post to only one of the geronimo lists, not both.

you haven't given us enough information to receive good advice.  Since a database can become
unavailable at any time, your application has to be able to deal appropriately with the situation
that a connection stops working at any time.  Normally you have to do something like abandoning
the transaction you are in.

From the container's point of view, what should be happening is that when your application
tries to use a connection that is no longer connected to the db, your application should get
an exception, and the container should notice the situation and take the connection out of
the connection pool.    The db side of this is built into XA connections and connection pool
connections, and I'm pretty confident that the geronimo side of this is working properly.
 So if you are using the tranql informix wrapper with xa then broken connections should be
getting discarded.  If you are wrapping the plain informix driver with the generic tranql
wrapper this might not be working properly.

What is your pool minimum size?  I don't know how the informix driver works, I'd guess it
won't create a connection if it can't reach the database.  So if your minimum size is non
zero you might get a lot of thrashing around until the db comes up.

So, what exactly are you seeing happen?  There are a lot of circumstances where a connection
may break, and the proper response from the container is to discard it so you can't try to
keep using it.

Is your application looking up connections each time it needs them or caching them?  Geronimo
tries to deal with this appropriately but if you are caching them you might run into more
problems.

Which tranql wrapper are you using?

thanks
david jencks

On Nov 11, 2012, at 3:44 PM, Vibhor Agrawal wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Need help with Geronimo connection.
>
> Problem Scenario:   Geronimo server is on one box say "A" and informix daatbase is on
other box say "B" .
>                                  Problem is suppose due to some reason if both box went
down and we bring both box up so box A having Geronimo server comes up first compare to box
B having database.
>                                  When Geronimo Server try to look for connection that
time database is down so it dont get any connection.  To establish connection we need to restart
server after box "B" having database is up.
>                                  Is there any way where we can change some Geronimo settings
so it will keep trying for connection or it hit database itself after 5 min of time.