Currently I don't know how to use the application's log property file without adding <hidden-classes> or <import-package>.
But I know if you want to use one copy of log4j librarry in the server and share it with all application in the server, you can use the SharedLib feature.
I mean use the <import-package> and SharedLib feature.

I'm interesting to your problem, and continue to investigate the root cause.