geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Radim Kolar <...@filez.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo release cycle
Date Sat, 28 Apr 2012 18:47:48 GMT

> Currently, the release cycle for Geronimo is about an year or even
> longer, so it takes significant amount of time before we could use an
> updated version of software with bug fixes and enhancements.
I also feel that project is not very alive. Most alive open source
application server project is Glassfish. but it has significant number
of bugs. I already tried 2 times to deploy it in production - once for
glassfish V2.0 and second few years later with glassfish 3.1.1 and had
to step back.

I currently use JBoss 7.1.1. Documentation for AS 7 is bad probably even
worse then Geronimo docs, official forums are not much alive, posts has
< 100 reads. Fighting with classloading issues in JBoss is challenging
as well in geronimo, i was unable to solve some classloading issues as
well - had to build own J2EE minimal stack and deploy it into Jetty 7.
But i was more successful in fighting these problems in jboss then in
Geronimo.

As i understand open source community in general do not like J2EE
concept and tends to use simpler solutions like tomcat, which means that
OS J2EE app servers are not on community radar with exception of
Glassfish - which is popular because its offered as J2EE download from
oracle site.