Hmm, virtual server is supported in Geronimo 3.0.
Before I checking the exception, it will be better if you could directly configure the virtual host in the server.xml file in the /var/catalina directory.
From Geronimo 2.2, we are trying to make the configurations easier, for the Tomcat assembly, almost the same syntax of server.xml is used to configure the Tomcat container. The most difference with Tomcat is that it is not allowed to configure web application context in that file.

BTW, due to the timeline of the incoming 3.0-beta-1 release, I did not have chance to merge the root context changes to that build. not sure it will affect your decision.
Thanks.