Guess that you mean that " You can repackage included components into api and impl clasess" :-)
Yes, in a ideal environment, those components should work in that way. While the real world is so complex, you may find that jsf API and impl are bundled in one jar file, as there maybe issues if divided them into two bundles.
Also, some 3rd components think that they could load classes with the current context classloader, which is also the classloader of the deployed application, If only spec APIs are imported, then bang ! That's why I say that we need to check each 3rd component in Geronimo.