geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: classloading in 3.0
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2011 13:03:01 GMT

On Nov 4, 2011, at 3:42 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> On Nov 4, 2011, at 12:07 PM, Radim Kolar wrote:
>
>> I propose to make classloading in 3.0 entirely different. Give user aplication access
to javax.* stuff and other required J2EE 6 apis and nothing else unless told otherwise by
deployment descriptor.

> I'd like this too.  How do you propose to get this to work?  I've been working on several
ideas that end up requiring major modifications to geronimo that I haven't been able to get
to work.  Any ideas you might have would be great to see.

Agreed. We'd discussed this previously, IIRC.

> What I'd actually like to see is that, instead of arbitrarily importing any particular
set of classes, we run bnd on the application classes to determine the Import-Packages needed.

Are you saying you don't want to arbitrarily import spec api classes? Or are you suggesting
we use BND to dynamically determine Import-Packages for non-spec classes? I assume the latter
would be filtering (not importing) packages that are already included in the application archive?

Automatically importing a default set of spec api classes would be a good first step, IMO.
And require explicit Import-Packages -- at least initially.

--kevan