geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Adding XA start flags for transactions
Date Fri, 16 Sep 2011 17:47:39 GMT
Hi,

WAS CE and Geronimo don't support distributed transactions (where more than one transaction
manager is used in a single xa transaction, all but one as "branches" of the primary transaction).
(Note that WAS CE and Geronimo do support XA transactions with an arbitrary number of XA resources
enrolled.  However, all the XAResources have to be actual resource managers such as a database,
jms broker, etc, they can't be other remote tx manager instances.  This is only because we
haven't written any tx-aware transports for e.g. remote ejb calls).

The only use I'm aware of for loosely coupled transactions is for distributed transactions
where more than one tm and process are making changes in the same tx using different branches.
 Within a single process and tm, all the work on one resource manager should be done within
the same tx branch, making the loose coupling irrelevant.

Anyway, right now we don't support this (non-xa-standard AFAIK) flag.  I'd be interested to
see more information on why you think it would be helpful.

thanks
david jencks

On Sep 16, 2011, at 10:22 AM, Shika Maru00 wrote:

> Is it possible to add flags to the geronima transaction manager when it starts up a resource?
(using enlistResource internally).

> I need to add a flag to enable loose coupling on ORACLE and DB2 (oratransloose and tmlcs).
 But this must be done when someone calls the XAResource start() , which includes the flag
parameter. As I don't have direct control of XAResource (as the client I only use the UserTransaction
object) I'm not sure how to do this.

> Some TMs, like webspheres, do this internally and provide some other method for the user
to specify it. I am using Websphere Application Server Comunity Edition, which makes use of
geronimo.  What can I do?