geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Jay D. McHugh" <jaydmch...@gmail.com>
Subject Runaway garbage collection on G 2.2.1
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2011 21:07:20 GMT
Hello all,

My app which is bundled as an EAR consisting of an EJB jar and a WAR
file has been running quite happily in Geronimo for years (it has been
in continuous development the entire time).

But yesterday, it suddenly started to flake out running through a
tremendous number of garbage collections when attempting to open some
(but not all) of the jsps in the WAR file.  There are so many
collections occurring that it sometimes takes several minutes before the
jsp gets processed and sent to the browser.

There is no useful logging that happens so it appears that the problem
is occurring somewhere in Tomcat.

I do have a filter that is configured, but when I put some logging into
that - it was not hit until after the GC looping finished.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I could look to figure out
what might be going on?

This is running on an Ubuntu Linux 10.04.3 64bit machine with 6Gb of
physical memory and two dual-core hyperthreading processors (so it looks
like 8 cores to the OS).

Here is my JAVA_OPTS variable:

JAVA_OPTS=-Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -XX:NewSize=64m
-XX:MaxNewSize=128m -verbose:gc -XX:+PrintGCDetails
-XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError

With the exception of the garbage collection flags and the 'dump on
error' parameters - I have been running with this set up forever.

Is it possible for the number of classes in my EAR to cause a problem?

I am pretty much at my wits end - but I have to fix it because it is on
my production server and all of my attempts to set up a new system have
the same problem.

Thanks in advance for any hints,

Jay