Hello Kevan,

this Geronimo server is a cool thing :)

i think i fixed the issue with the maven, eclipse and run on server issue:
i activated that the maven dependencies are exported as well at the projects settings.

but:
i started with a fresh copy of Geronimo.
i added a geronimo-web.xml to WEB-INF/ with the content u provided
and when i deploy the project using the geronimo server adapter nothing happens
at geronimo. and there is no log message in the geronimo.log file. but the server
view in Eclipse shows the webapp running and [Synchronized]

when i undeploy the webapp from the eclipses server view, add the geronimo-web.xml,
the webapp is deployed again, the logfile says:

2011-06-29 21:51:00,225 WARN  [TomcatModuleBuilder] Web application . does not contain a WEB-INF/geronimo-web.xml deployment plan.  This may or may not be a problem, depending on whether you have things like resource references that need to be resolved.  You can also give the deployer a separate deployment plan file on the command line.
2011-06-29 21:51:00,250 INFO  [DeploymentContext] The Strict Manifest Classpath processing mode is in effect.
This option can be altered by specifying -DXorg.apache.geronimo.deployment.LenientMFCP=true|false
Specify ="true" for more lenient processing such as ignoring missing jars and references that are not spec compliant.

and after a while the geronimo console shows the webapp up and running with the name of the context.
but i can not access it, tomcat shows a 404 for the context.

again, not logfile entry besides the warning regarding the geronimo-web.xml...

when i use the deployer from the geronimo web console and specify the war (containing the geronimo-web.xml) and the geronimo-web.xml as plan, then the webapp appears in the consoles Web App WARs view.
when i start the web app the web app is shown as running, but the context is not available, Tomcat shows again a 404.

and, as usual, no log messages regarding the actions deployment, undeployment, why the context is not accessible...

i dont have an idea whats going on...

2011/6/29 Kevan Miller <kevan.miller@gmail.com>

On Jun 28, 2011, at 5:30 PM, Chris Joysn wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> thanks for your response. and yes, i did exact what u said:
>
> i started with a clean copy of geronimo 2.2.1,
> turnedoff the two faces system modules,
> deployed my ready build war with the mojarra jsf2 and richfaces 4 libs,
> nothing special, just a simple hellp world sample.
>
> "under rapid development" scares me a little bit... ;)
>
> when i do the things mentioned above tehn i get the following log out put. its
> a rather huge log output, but to be honest. it tells me nothing...
>
> furthermore it seems that it is not possible to deploy a maven managed
> dynamic web project from Eclipse through the geronimo server adapter
> to geronimo. it seems that then the libs are not deployed to geronimo,
> so i had to deploy the war through geronimo console.
>
> 2011-06-28 23:22:25,719 WARN  [TomcatModuleBuilder] Web application . does not contain a WEB-INF/geronimo-web.xml deployment plan.  This may or may not be a problem, depending on whether you have things like resource references that need to be resolved.  You can also give the deployer a separate deployment plan file on the command line.
> 2011-06-28 23:22:27,485 INFO  [config] Mojarra 2.0.4 (FCS b09) für Kontext '/erp.web-1.0-SNAPSHOT' wird initialisiert.
> 2011-06-28 23:22:35,947 INFO  [config] Unsanitized stacktrace from failed start...
> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: factoryName 'javax.faces.context.ExceptionHandlerFactory'
>     at javax.faces.FactoryFinder.checkFactoryName(FactoryFinder.java:275)
>     at javax.faces.FactoryFinder.setFactory(FactoryFinder.java:217)
>     at com.sun.faces.config.processor.FactoryConfigProcessor.setFactory(FactoryConfigProcessor.java:283)
>
> > I dont know how to deal with that issue now...
> > Maybe the problem results from the way i deploy the webapp to Geronimo?

Hi Chris,
Looks like you need to hide the JSF 1.2 spec API classes from the JSF 2.0 implementation in your app. I am assuming that you'll be providing the jsf 2.0 spec api jar in your .war...

Using the following deployment plan should help:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<web-app xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/web-1.1" xmlns:dep="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment-1.1" xmlns:naming="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/naming-1.1">
 <dep:environment>
   <dep:moduleId>
     <dep:groupId>org.mygroup</dep:groupId>
     <dep:artifactId>MyApp</dep:artifactId>
     <dep:version>1.1</dep:version>
     <dep:type>car</dep:type>
   </dep:moduleId>

   <dep:hidden-classes>
     <dep:filter>javax.faces</dep:filter>
   </dep:hidden-classes>
 </dep:environment>
</web-app>

You can keep the deployment plan separate or place with deployment plan in WEB-INF/ directory of your .war (in which case it will be detected automtically by geronimo deployment code).

Otherwise, you specify the deployment plan as a separate file. E.g.:

bin/deploy.sh deploy <your-web-app.war> <your-web-app-deployment-plan.xml>

or specify the deployment plan when using deploy with the admin console.

> > I use Eclipse 3.6.2 and the Geronimo 2.2.1 server adapter for deploying the
> > webapp. The webapp is a Maven based project which i imported to Eclipse
> > and then i set the facet Dynamic web module to the project.
> >
> > If i look at the directory $WORKSPACE/.plugins/org.apache.geronimo.st.v21.core then i find
> > a war file but there are no libs in the folder WEB-INF/lib...
> >
> > Are they not deployed to Geronimo? Does Geronimo get the projects classpath
> > then i deploy the webapp to it?
> >
> > Or am i wrong and i have another issue with Geronimo and JSF 2?

That's an issue with your eclipse project (or the import into Eclipse). Can you describe how your maven project is defined? A simple sample would be helpful... Not my cup-of-tea. Perhaps somebody will have an answer for you...

--kevan