Kevan,

May you have all the delicious joe you can ever get into your mug.  I can't believe how fast you responded (and on a Sunday (my time) no less)!

I ran:
$sudo JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun ./geronimo.sh run --long

Same result, encryption error.

I then downloaded a farm-fresh installation of Geronimo, validated, unpacked, and ran exactly the same command against the new directory.  Success!

I believe the original error confirms the issue previous posters in the thread encountered.  Whether the path to JAVA_HOME was explicitly called out or not, once a bad shell command to run Geronimo was executed, the installation became corrupt, and no amount of pointing to the correct JAVA_HOME path would fix it.

As for my environment, /usr/bin/java is as you guessed, a symbolic link.  It links to /etc/alternatives/java, which in turn, links to the actual JAVA_HOME.  I doubt that link-nesting could cause a problem, but I've been wrong before.

Thanks again for your assistance!

On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 12:53 PM, kevan [via Apache Geronimo] <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jun 5, 2011, at 12:33 PM, 4lorn wrote:

> Kevan (or any helpful soul),
>
> I'm encountering a similar error, and would love some assistance if you're
> up for another cup of coffee.

My emailbot's coffee filter just beeped... :)

> I'm running Ubuntu Linux 2.6.35.4-rscloud (Rackspace's Ubuntu kernel) on x64
> architecture with 4GB of memory and plenty of storage.
>
> Here are outputs of various commands verifying JAVA:
>
> $ echo $JAVA_HOME: /usr/bin/java
> $ echo $PATH: (includes) /usr/bin/java/bin
> $ which java: /user/bin/java
> $ java -version: java versions "1.6.0_21"
>
> After reading this thread, I removed a previous Geronimo directory,
> downloaded v2.2.1 from a different mirror, verified the MD5 checksum, and
> unpacked the verified tarball.
>
> Running
> $sudo ./startup.sh from $GERONIMO_HOME/bin fails.
>
> The first sign of an error in geronimo.log is:
> ERROR [AbstractEncryption] Unable to encrypt
> java.security.NoSuchAlgorithmException: Cannot find any provider supporting
> AES.
This indicates a problem with your JAVA_HOME or JRE_HOME setting.

So, /usr/bin/java is a symbolic link to /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.21/?

geronimo.sh (which is invoked by startup.sh) is going to configure -Djava.ext.dirs. In your case it should include something like '/usr/bin/java/jre/lib/ext'. If that directory doesn't contain sunjce_provider.jar (which contains the AES provider), then you're going to see that failure.

FYI, I setup a symbolic link and was able to start Geronimo:

$ ln -s /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.22/ ~/java-symbolic-link
$ JAVA_HOME=/home/kevan/java-symbolic-link/ ./geronimo.sh run --long

Seems to work ok for me. ps aux | grep server.jar gives me the following:

/home/kevan/java-symbolic-link//jre/bin/java -Xmx256m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -javaagent:/home/kevan/geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5-2.2.1/bin/jpa.jar -Dorg.apache.geronimo.home.dir=/home/kevan/geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5-2.2.1 -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/home/kevan/geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5-2.2.1/lib/endorsed:/home/kevan/java-symbolic-link//jre/lib/endorsed -Djava.ext.dirs=/home/kevan/geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5-2.2.1/lib/ext:/home/kevan/java-symbolic-link//jre/lib/ext -Djava.io.tmpdir=var/temp -jar /home/kevan/geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5-2.2.1/bin/server.jar --long

Have a look at your set up and let us know what your environment looks like.

--kevan

http://apache-geronimo.328035.n3.nabble.com/ERROR-AbstractEncryption-Unable-to-decrypt-tp445727p3026988.html
To unsubscribe from ERROR [AbstractEncryption] Unable to decrypt, click here.

--
Cheers,

Josh Hull
(512) 940-0549