geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can my company use Geronimo?
Date Mon, 20 Jun 2011 14:30:22 GMT

On Jun 19, 2011, at 11:46 PM, Miya Guo wrote:

> Hello every bodies here :)
>
> I am a developer from Asia, now my company want to use Geronimo as
> server part in our new commercial project.
>
> I know the license of Geronimo is Apache License 2.0, which is
> friendly to commercial project.
> But I also notice that in the downloaded folder, there is a file named
> "LICENSE", which lists a great amount of sub-licenses for those
> dependent packages used by Geronimo.
> So I am confused and I can't confrim whether our commercial project
> could use Geronimo freely or not.
> (My English is poor so I can not understand the legal terms in those licenses.)
>
> Could anyone here tell me "whether our commercial project could use
> Genorimo freely or not?".
> Thanks very much.

Hi
First, please note -- we will not be able to offer you legal advice. I am not a lawyer. So,
if you are looking for a legal opinion, I urge you to seek qualified legal counsel.

Here's information about the legal affairs committee at the ASF -- http://www.apache.org/legal/
to ask your questions on this list. However, it's likely that you'll find the same answers,
there...

Here is an FAQ for license related questions at the ASF -- http://www.apache.org/foundation/licence-FAQ.html

For more specific information about AL v2 and 3rd party licenses, see -- http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html

It is the Geronimo project's opinion that our software conforms to the Software License Criteria
established by the ASF. As you note, we do include a number of 3rd party binary dependencies.
We feel that all of these dependencies fall under either the Category A classification (http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-a)
or Category B "Weak Copyleft" classificaiton (see http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b).

Finally, please note the ASF's policy for trademarks -- http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/

> Comment:
> Below is some usage scenarios of Geronimo in our commercial project:
> 1. Only use binary format, it means we won't modify any source code of
> Genorimo (include dependent packages).
> 2. It is used as application server in our commercial project.
> 3. This commercial project will be sold as a solution to the customers.

In my non-qualified opinion, I see no problems with the above -- as long as you conform to
the requirements of the Apache License. I think the following link is your best guide -- http://www.apache.org/foundation/licence-FAQ.html#WhatDoesItMEAN
. Will repeat -- I urge you to seek out specific legal advice from qualified individuals.

All that said -- would be very happy to see you *using* and *redistributing* our software.
Look forward to working with you in the future...

--kevan