geronimo-user mailing list archives

From 4lorn <josh.h...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ERROR [AbstractEncryption] Unable to decrypt
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2011 19:29:26 GMT
Kevan,

May you have all the delicious joe you can ever get into your mug.  I can't
believe how fast you responded (and on a Sunday (my time) no less)!

I ran:
$sudo JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun ./geronimo.sh run --long

Same result, encryption error.

I then downloaded a farm-fresh installation of Geronimo, validated,
unpacked, and ran exactly the same command against the new directory.
Success!

I believe the original error confirms the issue previous posters in the
thread encountered.  Whether the path to JAVA_HOME was explicitly called out
or not, once a bad shell command to run Geronimo was executed, the
installation became corrupt, and no amount of pointing to the correct
JAVA_HOME path would fix it.

As for my environment, /usr/bin/java is as you guessed, a symbolic link.  It
links to /etc/alternatives/java, which in turn, links to the actual
JAVA_HOME.  I doubt that link-nesting could cause a problem, but I've been
wrong before.

Thanks again for your assistance!

On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 12:53 PM, kevan [via Apache Geronimo] <
ml-node+3026988-984631994-405276@n3.nabble.com> wrote:

> On Jun 5, 2011, at 12:33 PM, 4lorn wrote:
>
> > Kevan (or any helpful soul),
> >
> > I'm encountering a similar error, and would love some assistance if
> you're
> > up for another cup of coffee.
>
> My emailbot's coffee filter just beeped... :)
>

> > I'm running Ubuntu Linux 2.6.35.4-rscloud (Rackspace's Ubuntu kernel) on
> x64
> > architecture with 4GB of memory and plenty of storage.
> >
> > Here are outputs of various commands verifying JAVA:
> >
> > $ echo $JAVA_HOME: /usr/bin/java
> > $ echo $PATH: (includes) /usr/bin/java/bin
> > $ which java: /user/bin/java
> > $ java -version: java versions "1.6.0_21"
> >
> > After reading this thread, I removed a previous Geronimo directory,
> > downloaded v2.2.1 from a different mirror, verified the MD5 checksum, and
>
> > unpacked the verified tarball.
> >
> > Running
> > $sudo ./startup.sh from $GERONIMO_HOME/bin fails.
> >
> > The first sign of an error in geronimo.log is:
> > ERROR [AbstractEncryption] Unable to encrypt
> > java.security.NoSuchAlgorithmException: Cannot find any provider
> supporting
> > AES.
>
> This indicates a problem with your JAVA_HOME or JRE_HOME setting.
>
> So, /usr/bin/java is a symbolic link to /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.21/?
>
> geronimo.sh (which is invoked by startup.sh) is going to configure
> -Djava.ext.dirs. In your case it should include something like
> '/usr/bin/java/jre/lib/ext'. If that directory doesn't contain
> sunjce_provider.jar (which contains the AES provider), then you're going to
> see that failure.
>
> FYI, I setup a symbolic link and was able to start Geronimo:
>
> $ ln -s /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.22/ ~/java-symbolic-link
> $ JAVA_HOME=/home/kevan/java-symbolic-link/ ./geronimo.sh run --long
>
> Seems to work ok for me. ps aux | grep server.jar gives me the following:
>
> /home/kevan/java-symbolic-link//jre/bin/java -Xmx256m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m
> -javaagent:/home/kevan/geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5-2.2.1/bin/jpa.jar
> -Dorg.apache.geronimo.home.dir=/home/kevan/geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5-2.2.1
> -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/home/kevan/geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5-2.2.1/lib/endorsed:/home/kevan/java-symbolic-link//jre/lib/endorsed
> -Djava.ext.dirs=/home/kevan/geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5-2.2.1/lib/ext:/home/kevan/java-symbolic-link//jre/lib/ext
> -Djava.io.tmpdir=var/temp -jar
> /home/kevan/geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5-2.2.1/bin/server.jar --long
>
> Have a look at your set up and let us know what your environment looks
> like.
>
> --kevan

Cheers,

Josh Hull