geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: deploy:new-server-instance does not deploy a full new server instance
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2011 17:15:19 GMT

On Jun 1, 2011, at 12:12 PM, Russell E Glaue wrote:

> Regarding the G3.0 Wiki documentation:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC30/running-multiple-geronimo-instances.html
>
> (And also G2.2 Docs:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC22/running-multiple-geronimo-instances.html)
>
> Creating a new server instance can be completed with gogo commands as follows:
> -
> To create an instance named foo do the following. All your instance data will be
> put in <geronimo_home>/foo. All the directories named below are relative to
> <geronimo_home>.
> Follow the procedures as below:
>
> Create a directory foo under <geronimo_home>.
> Copy var, repository and etc directories to foo.You can use the command
> deploy:new-server-instance to help you with this step.
> Edit foo/var/config/config-substitutions.properties and change the portOffset.
> Try using any integers such as 1, 2, 10, 20, 30.. for various instances.
> -
>
> I interpret that the "deploy:new-server-instance" command should do the following:
> 1. Create a directory foo under <geronimo_home>.
> 2. Copy var to foo
> 3. Copy repository to foo
> 4. Copy etc to foo
>
> However, under both G2.2 and G3.0-SNAPSHOT this command only does steps 1 and 2.
> I have to perform steps 3 and 4 manually.
>
> Shouldn't the "deploy:new-server-instance" perform all 4 steps?
>

> This is not a show stopper, but the "deploy:new-server-instance" is a nice
> feature to have - if it does all 4 steps.

Under 2.2, the etc and repository were intentionally shared.

Obviously, there are some issues with 3.0-SNAPSHOT -- and the new-server-instance command
should be updated. I confess I didn't realize that etc and repository had to be unique per
server instance, now...

Could you create a Jira? Perhaps you'd be interested in working on this?

--kevan