geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Russell E Glaue <rgl...@cait.org>
Subject Re: Help with G3.0 building
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2011 14:27:22 GMT

On 06/07/2011 06:21 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> On Jun 7, 2011, at 6:51 PM, Russell E Glaue wrote:

>>> Thanks for all the info! One additional question: what version of maven are you
using?

>>> The latest automated build worked -- http://ci.apache.org/builders/geronimo-server-trunk/builds/63
-- well, the Testsuite tests had some failures that weren't recorded properly, but can ignore
that for now...

>>> Do you have an SDK or a JSE installed? wsgen would only come with an SDK. So,
if you only have a JSE, that would explain the failure.

>>> --kevan
>>
>> Yes, I am running the "SE" or "Standard Edition" of Java - the full JDK bundle
>> of the J2SE6.
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDEV/building-apache-geronimo.html
>> The documentation says "You will need a JDK 5.0+ (J2SE 1.5.0+) or compatible JDK
>> to build Apache Geronimo. ..."
>>
>> I actually considered that I should be using the Java EE SDK (this what you mean
>> right?) but the Geronimo Development documentation did not state that. The docs
>> say to use the JDK, and specifically the "J2SE".
>> So... I have been trying to get G3.0 to compile with only the JDK.
>

> Right. So, I chose my acronyms unwisely. Let me try again.
>
> You should build with a JAVA SE JDK, not a JRE.
>
> You don't want/need the Java EE SDK. Sorry for the confusion.
>

>> I am using the Java SE 6u26, JDK 1.6.0_25
>> I am using the latest version of Maven 2, 2.2.1
>>
>> I tried one time with Maven 3, but G3.0 did not compile successfully. So I
>> reverted to 2.2.1 which is documented to use, on the Wiki.
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDEV/building-apache-geronimo.html
>> "...For 3.0, you need [maven] version 2.2.1 or later. ..."
>>
>> I am actually building G3.0 Successfully. And all the test suites seem to be
>> successful (no failures yet). Just this one very odd occurrence.
>
> Can you post more of the build output near the failure? I don't have a clear picture
of where in the build process you're getting this failure.

I have attached the last 3,900 lines of the build output I ran last night @
r1133142.
I did the following steps this last time:
1. Got a clean checkout of trunk
2. mvn clean install

I think I will clean out my local maven repository next, and start over from
scratch with maven 3.

> You might find it easier to create a Jira and attach the failure info to the Jira. Up
to you...

I try to avoid Jira's unless I find something broken needing fixed.

> I'm mostly building with maven 3. I asked about your maven version only to try and pin
down the source of your failure...

I'll try maven 3 again, then.

> <snip>
>
>> I can update the wiki page "Building Apache Geronimo" with the resulting
>> configuration I have for G3.0 if I can actually succeed in this.
>> This will be a good test case for a novice approach to compiling G3.0 for those
>> who would be strictly following the documentation.
>
> That would be great. We're happy to give people write access to our Wiki. We do, however,
ask that an ICLA be submitted -- http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas The insures any documentation
contributions can be properly distributed under an Apache License. If you do submit an ICLA
-- simplest technique is to print, fill out, scan and email the pdf to secretary@. This can
be quite fast turn-around.

I am already an AG Contributor.
Sorry, I have been a bit off the radar the last 2 years. My sister died of
cancer in oct-2008, and then my father-in-law died of cancer in nov-2009. We had
our second son. And I have been trying to achieve my masters during this time -
four years down, one more year to go.
My employer is still interested in moving to Geronimo. Geronimo now has the WADI
support we were just beginning to discuss back in 2008. My colleagues like the
OSGi support. We have already have built an internal cloud using Geronimo. ...so
here we go, back into the swing of things.

Here is my agenda, fyi:
http://russ.glaue.org/proj/geronimo-enterprise/

My goal is to:
1. figure it out