geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Russell E Glaue <>
Subject Re: deploy:new-server-instance does not deploy a full new server instance
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2011 17:56:19 GMT
I will file the JIRA.
Right now I am working through Geronimo for an Enterprise deployment
But after my research is completed, and the related Geronimo wiki documentation
is in place, I will go back over all the JIRAs I submit to consider working on
any of them. Right now, I am trying to find all the show-stoppers in G3.0 that
keep me from my Geronimo enterprise goal.

In G3.0 I came upon Geronimo refusing to start until the repository and etc
existed in org.apache.geronimo.server.dir .

I am still trying to figure out exactly what is needed and what is not needed
from the etc/ directory contents shipped with Geronimo.

I feel that the procedure should not do a straight copy, as the documentation
suggests, as long as the default shipped var/ directory is used for a run-time
server instance. We don't want to copy specialized configuration the user makes
in that default working directory.

However, to resolve this issue immediately, I do feel it should do a straight
copy. Those of us who will manage Geronimo on an Enterprise level will know to
keep the default shipped var/ directory as a "template" directory, and this can
be documented as an advanced practice.

On 06/01/2011 12:15 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:
> On Jun 1, 2011, at 12:12 PM, Russell E Glaue wrote:
>> Regarding the G3.0 Wiki documentation:
>> (And also G2.2 Docs:
>> Creating a new server instance can be completed with gogo commands as follows:
>> -
>> To create an instance named foo do the following. All your instance data will be
>> put in <geronimo_home>/foo. All the directories named below are relative to
>> <geronimo_home>.
>> Follow the procedures as below:
>> Create a directory foo under <geronimo_home>.
>> Copy var, repository and etc directories to foo.You can use the command
>> deploy:new-server-instance to help you with this step.
>> Edit foo/var/config/ and change the portOffset.
>> Try using any integers such as 1, 2, 10, 20, 30.. for various instances.
>> -
>> I interpret that the "deploy:new-server-instance" command should do the following:
>> 1. Create a directory foo under <geronimo_home>.
>> 2. Copy var to foo
>> 3. Copy repository to foo
>> 4. Copy etc to foo
>> However, under both G2.2 and G3.0-SNAPSHOT this command only does steps 1 and 2.
>> I have to perform steps 3 and 4 manually.
>> Shouldn't the "deploy:new-server-instance" perform all 4 steps?
>> This is not a show stopper, but the "deploy:new-server-instance" is a nice
>> feature to have - if it does all 4 steps.
> Under 2.2, the etc and repository were intentionally shared.
> Obviously, there are some issues with 3.0-SNAPSHOT -- and the new-server-instance command
should be updated. I confess I didn't realize that etc and repository had to be unique per
server instance, now...
> Could you create a Jira? Perhaps you'd be interested in working on this?
> --kevan

View raw message