geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Error unmarshaling return when attempting to deploy ear file; then Geronimo server hangs
Date Mon, 02 May 2011 20:45:17 GMT

On May 2, 2011, at 1:50 PM, WinnieNicklaus wrote:

> I am attempting to deploy an application EAR. I have successfully deployed
> deployment plans to repository/console/dbpool and repository/console/jms,
> and am attempting to deploy the application EAR to
> repository/default/<application name>.  The command I am using is
>
> java -jar <geronimo_home>/bin/deployer.jar --user <geronimo> --password
> <password> deploy <application_name>.ear

Is there a reason that you are using 'java -jar' to run the deploy command, rather than the
bin/deploy.sh (or .bat) shell script? It does set a few options (e.g. geronimo.home.dir and
java.io.tmpdir). I don't think this is causing your error, but 'java -jar' would not be my
recommended technique for running the deploy command...

> When I do this, I get the following error:
>
> 10:59:42,353 ERROR [BaseDeploymentFactory] java.rmi.UnmarshalException:
> Error unmarshaling return; nested exception is:
>        java.io.EOFException
> org.apache.geronimo.kernel.InternalKernelException:
> java.rmi.UnmarshalException: Error unmarshaling return; nested exception is:
>        java.io.EOFException

<snip>

> At this point, nothing more seems to happen, and the Geronimo server console
> is unresponsive.  When I restart it, the application shows up on the
> Application EARs page as installed, but stopped.  If I try to start it, the
> server crashes again.  The same behavior happens if I attempt to deploy the
> application through the Deploy New page on the console.
>
> Is this a problem with the EAR file itself?  It was created in France and I
> am in the US, so perhaps there is an encoding issue that confuses java when
> looking for EOF?

Well, the server should not be behaving this way. Clearly there's something in the ear file
which is causing a deployment failure. But even with this problem, the server should be a
bit more resilient and doing a better job indicating the cause of the problem to the deploy
command and cleaning up the application on the server...

Are there any errors in the server or deployer log files in var/log? I would expect something
to show up there... if you can post a test ear file that illustrates the problem, somebody
could look at it for you. I'm guessing you can't make the app available, however...

--kevan