geronimo-user mailing list archives

From WinnieNicklaus <jls...@u.washington.edu>
Subject Re: Error unmarshaling return when attempting to deploy ear file; then Geronimo server hangs
Date Fri, 06 May 2011 22:11:59 GMT
Well, I can't make the application available, but looking in
var/log/geronimo.out did turn up something that looks interesting.  When I
try to start the application, as I said the server hangs.  At that time,
this shows up in geronimo.out:

14:51:22,243 ERROR [ManagerBase] IOException while loading persisted
sessions: java.io.EOFException
java.io.EOFException
        at
java.io.ObjectInputStream$PeekInputStream.readFully(ObjectInputStream.java:2281)
        at
java.io.ObjectInputStream$BlockDataInputStream.readShort(ObjectInputStream.java:2750)
        at
java.io.ObjectInputStream.readStreamHeader(ObjectInputStream.java:780)
        at java.io.ObjectInputStream.<init>(ObjectInputStream.java:280)

14:51:22,247 ERROR [ManagerBase] Exception loading sessions from persistent
storage
[...]

14:51:39,857 ERROR [ContextLoader] Context initialization failed
14:51:43,617 ERROR [[/ePims]] Exception sending context initialized event to
listener instance of class
org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener
14:51:50,377 ERROR [GBeanInstanceState] Error while starting; GBean is now
in the FAILED state: abstractName="&lt;yadda yadda yadda&gt;"
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

Also, don't know that this matters, but when I start up Geronimo, I see
this:

Module 14/36 org.apache.geronimo.configs/tomcat6/2.0.1/car
12:06:20,788 ERROR [[/]] "Restricted listeners property file not found

Anyway, I suspect that the issue is with the OutOfMemoryError with the
PermGen space.  I tried using -Xmx8g, which allowed me to get further along
in the installation and get messages like

May 3, 2011 2:52:19 PM ClientCommunicatorAdmin restart
WARNING: Failed to restart: java.io.IOException: Failed to get a RMI stub:
javax.naming.CommunicationException [Root exception is
java.rmi.UnmarshalException: error unmarshalling return; nested exception
is:
        java.io.EOFException]
May 3, 2011 2:52:22 PM RMIConnector RMIClientCommunicatorAdmin-doStop
WARNING: Failed to call the method close():java.rmi.UnmarshalException:
Error unmarshaling return; nested exception is:
        java.io.EOFException
May 3, 2011 2:52:22 PM ClientCommunicatorAdmin Checker-run
WARNING: Failed to check connection: java.io.EOFException
May 3, 2011 2:52:22 PM ClientCommunicatorAdmin Checker-run
WARNING: stopping

At which point I get the errors given above about PermGen space.  Going to
-Xmx16g didn't help.  The machine has 16 GB of physical RAM, so I would
guess that the lack of space is in how the JVM is created rather than a
limitation of the computer itself.  But perhaps giving the JVM more memory
with the -Xmx option doesn't help with PermGen space -- I don't know what
that is.

Any ideas?