geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Neil Franken <ncjfran...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AW: AW: I need to pick your brains....
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2011 14:13:49 GMT
Hi Mike

I tried the approach you mentioned about the lib/endorsed folder and I
just cant get it to work properly. Seems like OpenEJB does not use the
right JTA transaction manager. I have cant seem to get this configured.
Unfortunately for I have now run out of time to get this up and running
for proof of concept and the powers that be have decided to go back to
GF and EclipseLink for the moment.

I suspect when Geronimo 3 comes out with support for OpenJPA2(I hope) I
will find it a little easier to get the things done I need. To give you
a idea we are looking at a application where we have 250+ logins per
second..... so performance and stability have to be there.

I will continue to experiment with Geronimo and EclipseLink in my spare
time and see if I can get it working. Right now I need to get this
project out.

Thanks for the input.

Regards
Neil

On Tue, 2011-03-01 at 12:54 +0100, Michael Simons wrote:
> Hi Neil,
>
> we put the eclipselink.jar in the Java lib/endorsed folder, as just deploying it does
not work.
> Another possibility - that we do not use - is to put the eclipselink.jar in every WAR/EAR
archive that you deploy.
> Hope this helps.
>
> Kind regards, Michael

but there's no AppSrv supporting it. So we had to port to JPA. After some evaluation (and
some severe problems with OpenJPA) we decided to use Geronimo with EclipseLink. So far it
works quite well. So IMHO you don't need to port code from EL to OpenJPA but just use EL within
Geronimo.
> > You say, that you need "to reduce the load on the MySQL servers". We also used a
lot of time to reduce the load on the database server as well as on the AppSrv. IMHO you should
still take plain old SQL/JDBC into account, as sometimes this might be the best choice to
reduce load and improve performance.

> > Kind Regards, Michael

 I wasn't aware that either one provided data caching without add on products, but I'm not
an expert in either product.  In geronimo you are probably more likely to be able to find
help using openjpa because the geronimo developers know it better and openjpa is another apache
project.  Other than that guess I don't have much advice on a choice.