geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Neil Franken <ncjfran...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AW: I need to pick your brains....
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2011 09:31:28 GMT
Hi Micheal.

Well maybe you can help me then. The only stumbling block I have with
EclipseLink is the fact that whenever I update/delete data and I do a
em.flush it complains about it not being in a transaction. Now my
persistence.xml file is setup  as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<persistence version="1.0"
xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence"
http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence/persistence_1_0.xsd">
	<persistence-unit name="cnectdDAL" transaction-type="JTA">

<provider>org.eclipse.persistence.jpa.PersistenceProvider</provider>
		<jta-data-source>jdbc/cnectd</jta-data-source>
		<class>com.cnectd.dal.MimeType</class>
		<class>com.cnectd.dal.MimeTypePK</class>
	<exclude-unlisted-classes>false</exclude-unlisted-classes>

	</persistence-unit>
</persistence>

This means I am running Container Managed Transactions. So why would it
complain about it not being in a transaction? I have googled this error
and cannot find anything to help me.

I did deploy the eclipselink.jar file to geronimo via the admin console.

Any ideas?

Regards
Neil

On Tue, 2011-03-01 at 09:54 +0100, Michael Simons wrote:
> Hi Neil,
>
> We faced a similar situation like you a little time ago. We used a JDO-Implementation
but there's no AppSrv supporting it. So we had to port to JPA. After some evaluation (and
some severe problems with OpenJPA) we decided to use Geronimo with EclipseLink. So far it
works quite well. So IMHO you don't need to port code from EL to OpenJPA but just use EL within
Geronimo.
> You say, that you need "to reduce the load on the MySQL servers". We also used a lot
of time to reduce the load on the database server as well as on the AppSrv. IMHO you should
still take plain old SQL/JDBC into account, as sometimes this might be the best choice to
reduce load and improve performance.

> Kind Regards, Michael

wasn't aware that either one provided data caching without add on products, but I'm not an
expert in either product.  In geronimo you are probably more likely to be able to find help
using openjpa because the geronimo developers know it better and openjpa is another apache
project.  Other than that guess I don't have much advice on a choice.