IIRC, geronimo.out is the output of the console, while geronimo.log is the real log file.
To monitor the application lifecycle, except for chaning the log levels, I think that the better way is to create a seperate monitor application, and implment a DeploymentWather GBean, and configure it in the META-INF/geronimo-service.xml.
Hope it helps.

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/server/tags/geronimo-2.2.1/framework/modules/geronimo-kernel/src/main/java/org/apache/geronimo/kernel/config/DeploymentWatcher.java