geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: NullPointerException when publishing with Geronimo Eclipse Plugin v2.1.7
Date Fri, 07 Jan 2011 12:56:31 GMT

On Jan 7, 2011, at 7:05 AM, ivan.vucinic wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I have the same problem in Envioroment:
>
> 1. Windows XP SP3
> 2. Eclipse Helios 3.6.1 ser1
> 3. Apache Geronimo plugin 2.1.7
> 4. Apache Geronimo 2.1.7 running on Windows server 2003
> 5. JDK 1.5.0.22
>
> I am begginer on Eclipse JEE and I just tried to build HelloWorld
> application as Dynamic Web Project
>

> !ENTRY org.eclipse.wst.server.core 4 0 2011-01-07 12:48:28.781
> !MESSAGE Could not publish to the server.
> !STACK 0
> java.lang.NullPointerException
> 	at java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap.put(Unknown Source)
> 	at
> org.apache.geronimo.st.core.internal.DependencyHelper.getEnvironment(DependencyHelper.java:442)
> 	at
> org.apache.geronimo.st.core.internal.DependencyHelper.reorderModules(DependencyHelper.java:109)
> 	at
> org.apache.geronimo.st.core.GeronimoServerBehaviourDelegate.publishModules(GeronimoServerBehaviourDelegate.java:243)
> 	at
> org.eclipse.wst.server.core.model.ServerBehaviourDelegate.publish(ServerBehaviourDelegate.java:948)
> 	at
> org.eclipse.wst.server.core.model.ServerBehaviourDelegate.publish(ServerBehaviourDelegate.java:775)
> 	at
> org.eclipse.wst.server.core.internal.Server.publishImpl(Server.java:2889)
> 	at
> org.eclipse.wst.server.core.internal.Server$PublishJob.run(Server.java:337)
> 	at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)

I believe this general problem has been fixed in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMODEVTOOLS-689
and https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMODEVTOOLS-690

You can apply their associated patches and build GEP from source. IIUC, you can also work
around this problem with the following steps (as described by Janet, previously:

1. In SampleUtility project, export the project into a jar, e.g., SampleUtility.jar
2. In SampleEAR project, create a lib folder under EarContent folder, and then copy SampleUtility.jar
into lib folder
3. In SampleEJB project, add SampleUtility.jar as external JARs in Libraries tab of java build
path panel

With above changes, the SampleEAR project can be published successfully in eclipse.

--kevan