geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: JBoss interoperability - call a JBoss EJB
Date Fri, 07 Jan 2011 17:59:40 GMT

On Jan 7, 2011, at 6:43 AM, weberjn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we'd like to have an EJB deployed in Geronimo call an EJB deployed in JBoss.
>
> One could assume that should be possible, because both use RMI/IIOP as
> network protocol, shouldn't it?

Neither geronimo/openejb nor (AFAIK) jboss use RMI/IIOP as the default remote ejb protocol.
 You need to enable CORBA to get this protocol.

> But one would need the JBoss NamingContextFactory and all needed classes in
> the classpath?

yes, that should work fine, and IMO is your best bet for getting this to work.

> So I guess one would use a pure Java Corba client to the JBoss EJB and run
> it in the Geronimo bean.
>
> If that does not work, I'll try to deploy a Corba servant (that calls the
> JBoss EJB) in JBoss and call the servant from Geronimo (as discussed on the
> JBoss list: http://community.jboss.org/thread/88976)

Theoretically CORBA interoperability should let you use the geronimo corba client to communicate
with the jboss orb.  You'll need to set up the CSS security on geronimo and TSS security on
jboss.  However IMO CORBA interop is mostly a myth.  We test interop between geronimo/yoko
and glassfish but judging by the problems we run into you'd be very lucky to get interop between
yoko and the jboss ORB without fixing bugs in both orbs.  On the other hand I don't think
anyone's tried it so there's always a chance it will work fine.

thanks
david jencks