geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: From Tomcat to Geronimo with tomcat
Date Fri, 01 Oct 2010 20:14:25 GMT

On Sep 15, 2010, at 4:43 PM, Mansour Al Akeel wrote:

> Hello all:
> I am looking at the options I have to use geronimo for some J2EE apps.
>
> Currently we are running regular web applications on tomcat. I want to use geronimo as
a tomcat
> replacement. Modifiying the existing applications to deploy on geronimo is a path
> that I like to avoid. I have few ideas, and I hope one of them would
> work.
>
> 1- deploy the existing applications to geronimo without using deploy plan (some
>    of them contains security realm "jetspeed is one of them"). Is this
>    possible ?

No. You'll need a deployment plan, if you need to map security roles, database resources,
etc.

> 2- Use the existing tomcat instance for geronimo. If what I am thinking
>    about is possible, I don't have to modify the existing tomcat, just configure
>    geronimo to use it (too good to be true !).

Sorry, no. ;-)

> The final result wold allow me to run webapp only on tomcat, and I can
> deploy j2ee apps through G2.2 deploy command.
>
> Any ideas ?

FYI, there is a minimal assembly of Geronimo (which only contains web app functionality).
Or you can generate a custom assembly from a full server. Regardless, except for simple applications,
you'll need a deployment plan.

--kevan