geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Ted Kirby <>
Subject Re: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space
Date Mon, 11 Oct 2010 22:48:46 GMT
On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 7:52 AM, Kevan Miller <> wrote:
> On Oct 10, 2010, at 1:04 AM, mohamed.chebbi wrote:
>> hi
>> i'm tring to build geronimo from trunc
>> but i still get :
>> java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space
>> with mvn clean install
>> i have MAVEN_OPTS set to:
>> %echo $MAVEN_OPTS
>> -Xms256m -Xmx512m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m
> Mohamed,
> Please don't post the same question to both our dev list and our user list. Ted posted
on the user list the following:
> On Oct 10, 2010, at 9:23 AM, Ted Kirby wrote:
>> I recently updated
>> for
>> this to say:
>> For 3.0, use at least:
>>    MAVEN_OPTS="-Xmx768m -XX:MaxPermSize=200m"
> I build with the following options using maven 2.2.1:
> MAVEN_OPTS="-Xmx1024m -Xms512m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError"
> I expect that my settings are larger than need be, but they work...
> --kevan

Last week, I could build on OK on Windows and Mac.

Today on mac, MaxPermSize=256m did not work, as it did last week, but
MaxPermSize=512m did work for me.
It seems memory requirements have grown recently?

MAVEN_OPTS="-Xmx768m -XX:MaxPermSize=200m" works for Jarek on a 32-bit
linux system.

I have a 64-bit mac.  Jarek made a good suggestion to try to run in
32-bit mode, as that would use about 1/3 less real memory.  Anyone
know how to run the build in 32-bit mode?

My windows story today is perplexing. I set (and verify)
MAVEN_OPTS=-Xmx1G -XX:MaxPermSize=512m in the command prompt window,
and in the system environment variables.  I get a build failure, and
when I show MAVEN_OPTS in the command window, it is set to
MAVEN_OPTS=-Xmx512m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m!!
The build is failing in plugins/j2ee/geronimo-j2ee while running the tests.
When skipping tests, I get the same symptoms, but the build fails at
Any ideas?  Can others build on windows?

View raw message