geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Problem starting geronimo (ActiveMQ)
Date Fri, 08 Oct 2010 14:14:38 GMT

On Sep 22, 2010, at 2:39 PM, Faw wrote:

> I'm testing geronimo and porting my cocoon app to it, and like in any testing
> environment, things crash. So after geronimo died, tried to start it and it
> wont run. I deleted the installation installed again, and still wont run.
> Does geronimo installs/uses/saves stuff in other directories other than its
> own? The error I'm getting is the following:
>
> Module 61/74 org.apache.geronimo.configs/activemq-broker/2.2.2-SNAPSHOT/car

> 2010-09-22 09:58:04,330 ERROR [BrokerService] Failed to start ActiveMQ JMS
> Message Broker. Reason: java.io.EOFException: Chunk stream does not exist at
> page: 0
> java.io.EOFException: Chunk stream does not exist at page: 0
>    at org.apache.kahadb.page.Transaction$2.readPage(Transaction.java:454)
>    at org.apache.kahadb.page.Transaction$2.<init>(Transaction.java:431)
>    at
> org.apache.kahadb.page.Transaction.openInputStream(Transaction.java:428)
>    at org.apache.kahadb.page.Transaction.load(Transaction.java:404)
>    at org.apache.kahadb.page.Transaction.load(Transaction.java:361)
>    at
> org.apache.activemq.broker.scheduler.JobSchedulerStore$3.execute(JobSchedulerStore.java:250)

For the record, this restart problem is caused by https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQ-2935
-- a hard stop (e.g. kill -9) will frequently cause this problem.

You should be able to avoid this by editing var/activemq/conf/activemq.xml and adding schedulerSupport="false"
(assuming you don't require JobScheduler support):

    <broker xmlns="http://activemq.apache.org/schema/core" brokerName="${activemq.brokerName}"
tmpDataDirectory="${activemq.data}/tmp_storage" useShutdownHook="false" start="false" schedulerSupport="false">

Working with the ActiveMQ community to get this fixed in an ActiveMQ release that Geronimo
can consume. Meantime, we could consider changing the default configuration to use schedulerSupport="false".

--kevan