geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: No Plugin's Installable?
Date Mon, 27 Sep 2010 18:38:52 GMT
Hi Daniel,

I think there are several areas that need to be looked into:

1. basic osgi packaging.  This might be working, I'm not sure.  We need to make sure cxf is
supplying bundles that work with our spec jars, and then we need to make our cxf plugins actually
load and start in geronimo.  Note that we have a long term goal of eliminating gbeans, so
if you see a way to use a more osgi friendly component model please at least bring it up for
discussion.

2. integration with web apps.  Both our jetty and tomcat integrations are now using an info
tree like what openejb uses to collect all the web.xml and servlet annotation info, and then
using the new dynamic registration interfaces to install all the components in the web app.
 As part of this change I disabled our previous pojo web service support.  We now need something
better.  One possible model is to give the ws deployer the info tree along with the deployment
context, and it can scan for servlets that are web services, and for web service annotations,
and modify and install new ServletInfos to support these.  I think that since we can now actually
supply the servlet object we can simplify the integration code a lot by actually constructing
the web service support objects and stuffing them in the servlet rather than trying to get
the servlet to fish for them.

There might be a way to use a ServletContextInitializer as well, although I don't see how
that could process existing web services mentioned in web.xml.

3. ejb web services.  The jetty model might still work, although I'd guess it requires some
tweaking.  I have no idea about tomcat.

I might propose something for the info tree sharing for (2).... but don't let that stop you
from suggesting anything you can think of!

If this is not enough to go on let me know...

many thanks
david jencks

On Sep 27, 2010, at 11:13 AM, dsh wrote:

> Hey David,
>
> I am interested in the CXF/OSGi integration part but actually don't
> know where and how to start. Do you have any pointers?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Daniel
>
> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 6:44 PM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 27, 2010, at 8:33 AM, fei0x wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>> I'm new to Geromino, just trying it out really to see if it could replace
>>> ServiceMix, since ServiceMix has poor web app support at the moment, and
>>> we're looking to build some web applications .
>>>
>>> So I'm trying to deploy our apps on Geromino but we require CXF, I saw that
>>> there are some CXF plugins but it appears that all the plugins at:
>>> http://geronimo.apache.org/plugins/geronimo-3.0/ say they are not
>>> installable, is there some setup required to get these plugins? or is this a
>>> bug?
>>>
>>> I'm using the 3.0-M1 version of Geronimo in Ubuntu 10.04 with java version
>>> "1.6.0_20"
>>
>> Currently no web services at all work on geronimo 3.  We plan to work on them (cxf,
axis2, and axis for legacy jaxrpc support) after we get a little further with the web profile.
 If you want to help getting cxf working in g 3 that would be wonderful and we will gladly
give you lots of advice, otherwise you may want to try geronimo 2.2 which unfortunately has
no osgi support.