On Aug 25, 2010, at 9:10 AM, Anil Chawla wrote:

Ivan, thanks for the prompt response. Our intention is to provide our users with a WAR/EAR file and perhaps a simple startup script that they can edit to set the correct environment variables for their environment. It is good to know that there is a work-around like this but it might be a little too complicated for our users.

If you are willing to distribute your app as a "predeployed" geronimo plugin rather than an app that must be deployed on each server, you can include this config.xml info in the plugin.  The easy way is to use a maven project and the car-maven-plugin to package your app as a plugin.  The geronimo build has lots and lots of examples of how to set up the config.xml bits and default values for config-substitutions.properties such as the plugins/tomcat/tomcat subproject.

Is there any other option for configuring external folders in our classpath without putting a fixed path in geronimo-web.xml? For example, is there an easy way to append to the classpath of the server when running geronimo.sh? If so, we can just ask our users to set APP_HOME as an environment variable and provide a startup script that runs gernonimo.sh with the right parameters.

that won't work, sorry.

thanks
david jencks

Thanks,

Anil Chawla

<graycol.gif>Ivan ---08/25/2010 11:46:15 AM---You could NOT use the substitution directly in geronimo-web.xml, but you might try a workaround solu

<ecblank.gif>
From:
<ecblank.gif>
Ivan <xhhsld@gmail.com>
<ecblank.gif>
To:
<ecblank.gif>
user@geronimo.apache.org
<ecblank.gif>
Date:
<ecblank.gif>
08/25/2010 11:46 AM
<ecblank.gif>
Subject:
<ecblank.gif>
Re: Substitution variables in gbean attribute value

You could NOT use the substitution directly in geronimo-web.xml, but you might try a workaround solution below, it should work :-)

a. After deploying your application into the server, then stop the server.
b. Open the var/config/config.xml, and find the segment for your application.
c. Let's take the SharedLib as an example, add a xml fragment like :
    <gbean name="SharedLib">
        <attribute name="libDirs">${APP_HOME}/lib</attribute>

<attribute name="classesDirs">${APP_HOME}/conf</attribute>

    </gbean>
d. add the APP_HOME and its real value in the var/config/config-substitutions.properties
e. Start the server, now it should use the value configured in the config-substitutions.properties.