geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Substitution variables in gbean attribute value
Date Wed, 25 Aug 2010 16:50:50 GMT

On Aug 25, 2010, at 9:10 AM, Anil Chawla wrote:

> Ivan, thanks for the prompt response. Our intention is to provide our users with a WAR/EAR
file and perhaps a simple startup script that they can edit to set the correct environment
variables for their environment. It is good to know that there is a work-around like this
but it might be a little too complicated for our users.

If you are willing to distribute your app as a "predeployed" geronimo plugin rather than an
app that must be deployed on each server, you can include this config.xml info in the plugin.
 The easy way is to use a maven project and the car-maven-plugin to package your app as a
plugin.  The geronimo build has lots and lots of examples of how to set up the config.xml
bits and default values for config-substitutions.properties such as the plugins/tomcat/tomcat
subproject.

> Is there any other option for configuring external folders in our classpath without putting
a fixed path in geronimo-web.xml? For example, is there an easy way to append to the classpath
of the server when running geronimo.sh? If so, we can just ask our users to set APP_HOME as
an environment variable and provide a startup script that runs gernonimo.sh with the right
parameters.

that won't work, sorry.

thanks
david jencks

> Thanks,
>
> Anil Chawla
>

> <graycol.gif>Ivan ---08/25/2010 11:46:15 AM---You could NOT use the substitution
directly in geronimo-web.xml, but you might try a workaround solu

> <ecblank.gif>
> From:	<ecblank.gif>
> Ivan <xhhsld@gmail.com>
> <ecblank.gif>
> To:	<ecblank.gif>
> user@geronimo.apache.org
> <ecblank.gif>
> Date:	<ecblank.gif>
> 08/25/2010 11:46 AM
> <ecblank.gif>
> Subject:	<ecblank.gif>
> Re: Substitution variables in gbean attribute value
>

> You could NOT use the substitution directly in geronimo-web.xml, but you might try a
workaround solution below, it should work :-)

> a. After deploying your application into the server, then stop the server.
> b. Open the var/config/config.xml, and find the segment for your application.
> c. Let's take the SharedLib as an example, add a xml fragment like :
>     <gbean name="SharedLib">
>         <attribute name="libDirs">${APP_HOME}/lib</attribute>
> <attribute name="classesDirs">${APP_HOME}/conf</attribute>
>
>     </gbean>
> d. add the APP_HOME and its real value in the var/config/config-substitutions.properties
> e. Start the server, now it should use the value configured in the config-substitutions.properties.
>
> 2010/8/25 Anil Chawla <achawla@us.ibm.com>
>
> Hi,
> Is there a way to use substitution variables when defining gbeans in geronimo-web.xml?
For example, I would like to define a SharedLib for our application with an APP_HOME variable
that points to the actual location of files on the user's filesystem:

> <gbean name="SharedLib" class="org.apache.geronimo.system.sharedlib.SharedLib">
> <attribute name="libDirs">${APP_HOME}/lib</attribute>
> <attribute name="classesDirs">${APP_HOME}/conf</attribute>
> <reference name="ServerInfo">
> <name>ServerInfo</name>
> </reference>
> </gbean>
>
> I've tried setting an APP_HOME environment variable as well as passing APP_HOME as a
Java system property. I even tried org.apache.geronimo.config.substitution.APP_HOME but that
seems to be specific to config.xml.