geronimo-user mailing list archives

From viola lu <viola...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Farming-Application stops On All Nodes When "Master" Instance is Stopped
Date Sat, 24 Jul 2010 01:22:57 GMT
hi,
WADI is targeted for exceptional case such as
"ctl-c" , "kill -9" shutdown web container, if you directly shutdown server,
it won't replicate session.
You can refer to section "What are WADI's goals?" of wadi page:
http://wadi.codehaus.org/faq.html#status, for your convenience, i pasted it
here:
What are WADI's goals? [08/06/04] In the Web tier, we can crystallise WADI's
goals into two stages:

   - To be able to walk into your web farm and 'ctl-c' any webcontainer node
   without losing any HttpSessions (i.e. customers).
   - To be able to walk into the same web farm and 'kill -9' any
   webcontainer node without losing any HttpSessions (i.e. customers).

The first of these two cases is important because it allows easy maintenance
of existing h/w or s/w. This may seem a trivial requirement, but many
existing solutions are time-consuming and/or error-prone (involving draining
sessions off target nodes over long periods etc.), to the point that many
sites simply accept that maintenance will impact quality of service. The
second of these two cases deals with a more exceptional case - the
catastrophic failure of a webcontainer node. As online competition for
business increases, systems are being required to provide higher and higher
levels of availibility. This can be critical in particular areas. The
ability to preserve web-tier state beyond the failure of its node is
correspondingly an increasing requirement.