geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Trygve Sanne Hardersen <try...@hypobytes.com>
Subject Re: Apache Http Server Load Balancing and Failover
Date Fri, 30 Jul 2010 18:14:26 GMT
What if someone requests a missing page while your app is still happy?
Should Apache then retry all servers?

I believe with HAProxy you can configure a repeated background response code
check for another URL, so that when this check returns an error response the
server is considered failed. This way you can stop the monitor app first,
and after a while stop the main app to provide graceful shutdown of the
service.

Not sure how to do this with Apache. For HAProxy info search for "option
httpchk" here:

http://haproxy.1wt.eu/download/1.4/doc/configuration.txt

*By default, server health checks only consist in trying to establish a TCP
connection. When "option httpchk" is specified, a complete HTTP request is
sent once the TCP connection is established, and responses 2xx and 3xx are
considered valid, while all other ones indicate a server failure, including
the lack of any response.

The port and interval are specified in the server configuration.*

Trygve