geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: How to specify classloader for web application deployed on Geronimo.
Date Fri, 28 May 2010 23:02:31 GMT

On May 28, 2010, at 3:22 PM, SunSeaAndPalms wrote:

> Technologies that are used in my application requires classloader with
> 'addTransformer(ClassFileTransformer)' method and claims that Geronimo's
> default org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.MultiParentClassLoader , doesn't
> have it. So I need to setup my special class loader for my application
> (war). I use Geronimo with Tomcat. I was told that specifying classloader is
> a very simple process on Tomcat. Following example shows how to do it (The
> file is named "context.xml"):
>
> <Context path="/myWebApp" docBase="/my/webApp/location">
>    <Loader
>
> loaderClass="org.springframework.instrument.classloading.tomcat.TomcatInstrumentableClassLoader"/>
> </Context>
>
> The alternative for Geronimo is using "geronimo-tomcat.xml" in deployment
> plan (I read about it from
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/os-ag-tomcat/ this doc ). The
> problem is that there isn't a classloader property specified.
>
> So my question is: How can I change default classloader with a special one
> for my web application deployed on Geronimo?

You can't change what classloader geronimo uses for your web app.  However, you can register
a ClassTransformer quite easily.  We do this for jpa.  Here's the code we use, from 2.2  plugins/openjpa/geronimo-persistence-jpa10/src/main/java/org/apache/geronimo/persistence/PersistenceUnitGBean.java:

        public void addTransformer(ClassTransformer classTransformer) {
            TransformerWrapper transformer = new TransformerWrapper(classTransformer, classLoader);
            transformers.add(transformer);
            TransformerAgent.addTransformer(transformer);
        }

public class TransformerWrapper implements ClassFileTransformer {

    private final ClassTransformer classTransformer;
    private final ClassLoader classLoader;

    public TransformerWrapper(ClassTransformer classTransformer, ClassLoader classLoader)
{
        this.classTransformer = classTransformer;
        this.classLoader = classLoader;
    }

    public byte[] transform(ClassLoader loader, String className, Class<?> classBeingRedefined,
ProtectionDomain protectionDomain, byte[] classfileBuffer) throws IllegalClassFormatException
{
        if (loader != classLoader) {
            return null;
        }
        try {
            return classTransformer.transform(loader, className, classBeingRedefined,  protectionDomain,
classfileBuffer);
        } catch (IllegalClassFormatException e) {
            throw e;
        } catch (RuntimeException e) {
            return null;
        }
    }
}

If you don't care whether all classes, not just the ones in your app, are fed to your ClassTransformer,
you can leave out the TransformerWrapper.

This code should go in a gbean with priority PRIORITY_CLASSLOADER to make sure it is installed
before other components are started and perhaps load your classes untransformed.  See the
PersistenceUnitGBean for more details.

Hope this helps
david jencks