geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Forrest Xia <forres...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DayTrader on Tomcat
Date Fri, 14 May 2010 04:05:53 GMT
On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 10:24 PM, Dianne Richards <dianner9@gmail.com>wrote:

> I downloaded everything after Forrest posted that the new samples were
> ready and finally got a clean build of DayTrader. But, now I'm having
> problems running it on Tomcat. I noticed that there were 3 war files, so I
> tried several combinations, unsuccessfully. When I run startup with just the
> daytrader-web-jpa-3.0-SNAPSHOT.war, it tells me that it needs
> daytrader-web-jdbc-3.0-SNAPSHOT. So, I added that war file and got no
> startup errors. But, when I try to start daytrader, I get "*The requested
> resource (/daytrader) is not available."* So, I added the
> daytrader-war-3.0-SNAPSHOT.war. I get the following startup error:
>
> SEVERE: Error listenerStart
> May 13, 2010 9:21:05 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
> SEVERE: Context [/daytrader-war-3.0-SNAPSHOT] startup failed due to
> previous err
> ors
>
> So, the first question is, which war files need to be deployed? Second,
> what do I need to do to get past the problems? Or is there a bug here?

Just try web-jdbc one, by default, it uses derby datasource, but tomcat does
not start derby. So you need to manually switch the datasource to another
one. Let me have DB2 as an example,

1. uncomment the db2 datasource in META-INF/context.xml, and comment out
derby accordingly.
2. create a db2 database with the name in the datasource definition
3. rebuild the web-jdbc assembly and deploy it to tomcat via its console,
note that you need to specify the web context root explicitly as /daytrader
4. then try http://localhost:8080/daytrader

Forrest