geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Marshall Crocker" <croc...@cavs.msstate.edu>
Subject Re: Running a non web java application
Date Thu, 06 May 2010 14:12:47 GMT
Not to hijack this thread but I was wondering the same thing.

In my web app, I want to be able to receive TCP data on a socket. That data will then be parsed
and saved to a DB.  Clients would connect directly to the TCP socket and transfer the raw
data.

Currently the way clients pass data is through the URL such as http://website.com/Servlet?var1=0&var2=1...
  Since these are mobile devices transmitting using GPRS, I want to eliminate all the http
overhead and move to a straight TCP connection.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Marshall

>>> David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> 5/5/2010 12:45 PM >>>
You can definitely run it in geronimo (he says with unwarranted overconfidence :-)

You probably want to start it differently than you do as a standalone server.  To give advice
I'd need to know more about your server including...

-- how do it's clients connect to it
-- what geronimo services you want it to use.
-- what setup happens when you start it now

For future-proofing this at the risk of having more uncertainty now you might want to consider
packaging your server as an osgi bundle and starting it with an activator (or assembling it
with osgi blueprint) and using geronimo 3 (still definitely under development) or if you don't
need significant geronimo services felix karaf.

thanks
david jencks

On May 5, 2010, at 10:10 AM, Kevin Winterton wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have designed a Java application that runs like its own server and has php websites
communicating directly with it.  I was just wondering if there was any way I could use Geronimo
to run this application on Geronimo, and if so were I should put it.  It was designed in eclipse
just as a Java Project, and when exported is made into a JAR file.  Is it possible to use
Geronimo to host an application like this, or can it only be used for things like servlets,
JSP and EJBs.

> Please let me know if you need more information, I've already tried loading the JAR through
the Console and it was placed in the App Clients section.