geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Question on @EJB and JNDI lookup
Date Tue, 04 May 2010 22:30:45 GMT

On May 4, 2010, at 2:51 PM, Cristian Botiza wrote:

> Yes, local interfaces.
> Just that I'm using the interface name '...Local' when calling JNDI.
> By the way, CXF is deployed standalone, I added the JARs in the repository. This may
explain the issue.
> However, my question is about servlets (the plain old servlets) and @EJB annotation.
Could the injected EJB object (proxy) be undeployed?

If the war and ejb jar are in the same ear, you would not be able to stop the ejbs without
the web app stopping first.

david jencks

> Many thanks

web services under the cxf that is installed in geronimo and looking the ejb up in java:comp/env....
then the two approaches should work identically.  I'm also assuming that the ejb is running
in the same geronimo instance and you are using local interfaces (although this should not
affect anything).

> david jencks
>
> On May 4, 2010, at 2:09 AM, Cristian Botiza wrote:
>
>> Hi all.
>>
>> I had an issue with calling EJBs (stateless) from the web layer.
>> In the web layer I was using CXF and doing an explicit JNDI lookup to retrieve the
stateless EJB instance (proxy, to be more precise). The issue was that those EJB references
were retrieved only once when CXF services were started. After some heavy load on the server,
at some point the EJB call failed with message:

>> Bean '...' was undeployed.
>>
>> I assumed this is as designed and didn't try to fix it.
>>
>> However, to avoid it I replaced CXF with plain old servlet and in the servlet class
I used @EJB to inject the EJB instances. Everything works fine so far but I wanted to make
sure I did the right thing. Is it possible that I run in the same issue with this approach?
As I understand it, Geronimo will inject one instance in each servlet instance (and there
will be only one servlet instance by default) - this is by the specs. Does Geronimo (OpenEJB)
take care of circumstances when the EJB is 'undeployed'? Will it inject a fresh instance?

>> Thanks! Answers much appreciated.
>>
>> The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is
intended solely for the addressee. Any opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily
represent the opinions of the Company. Emails are susceptible to interference. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted
to be taken in reliance on it, is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received
this message in error, do not open any attachments but please notify the EndavaIT Service
Desk on (+44 (0)870 423 0187), and delete this message from your system. The sender accepts
no responsibility for information, errors or omissions in this email, or for its use or misuse,
or for any act committed or omitted in connection with this communication. If in doubt, please
verify the authenticity of the contents with the sender. Please rely on your own virus checkers
as no responsibility is taken by the sender for any damage rising out of any bug or virus
infection.

>> Endava Limited is a company registered in England under company number 5722669 whose
registered office is at 125 Old Broad Street, London, EC2N 1AR, United Kingdom. Endava Limited
is the Endava group holding company and does not provide any services to clients. Each of
Endava Limited and its subsidiaries is a separate legal entity and has no liability for another
such entity's acts or omissions. Please refer to the “Legal” section on our website for
a list of legal entities.