I don't understand your scenario.  The uncommitted work is done by the application client??

I don't recommend ever calling setAutoCommit from an application.  If you are outside a jta transaction, you presumably want autocommit behavior.  If you don't, use UserTransaction.

Some drivers (including, last time I checked, oracle) are not jdbc spec compliant and do not commit pending work when autocommit is turned on (the tranql wrapper uses setAutocommit(true) to end transactions when wrapping non-xa connections/datasources).  To counteract this defect there's a property CommitOnAutocommit you can use with the generic wrapper.  I recommend using a db-specific wrapper where this problem should be taken care of.

thanks
david jencks