geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: finding workaround to solve memory leak problem when creating large numbers of TemporaryQueues (Log4J related)
Date Wed, 21 Apr 2010 14:59:07 GMT

On Apr 21, 2010, at 5:45 AM, easyl wrote:

> I am using embedded AMQ 4.1.2 (in geronimo 2.1.4)
> and find there is a memory problem similar to this:
> https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQ-1681
>
> I run a system (64bit, 3G mem) after 8 hours, about 1000000 temp queue was
> created for send/reply.
> I can find 400~500 MB (and counting) for Log4j instance from memory dump
> (jmap).
>
> Is there any workaround so that I don't need to upgrade AMQ, compile, patch
> AMQ, and etc.
> Can I possible remove those log4j instance for temporary queue at runtime?

Hi
I don't see too many options for you (other than patching the 4.1.2-G20100308 version of ActiveMQ
that Geronimo 2.1.4 uses).

The only "work-around" that I can think of is to restart the activemq-broker-2.1.5.car configuration.
This would be disruptive for connected clients (and dependent applications). Stopping a configuration
will also stop all dependent configurations. However, IIRC, "restart" will stop and then start
all of these configurations. So, restart is disruptive not only to the activemq-broker, but
also any dependent applications. This may or may not be suitable for your environment...

--kevan