geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: looking for some suggestion for setting AMQ across multiple JVMs
Date Fri, 30 Apr 2010 13:53:15 GMT

On Apr 30, 2010, at 5:11 AM, easyl wrote:

> Hallo,
>
> At the moment I run multiple applications (EAR with MDB) in a single
> Geronimo.
>
> I am trying to run applications on different Geronimo (i.e. on different
> JVM) within one physical machine.
>
> server \--- Geronimo1 \--- appA
>           \                      \--- appB
>            \
>             \--- Geronimo2 --- appC
>
> appA, appB and appC send/receive JMS to/from each other.
>

> Can someone give me some suggestion?
>
> do I need one or more than one broker? should I set a broker for each
> Geronimo?

Multiple brokers aren't a requirement. Do appA/appB need to share destinations with appC?
If not, then multiple brokers using default configuration (avoiding port conflicts of course)
will work fine. If you do need to share JMS destinations, you'd need either a single broker
or a broker network.

For a single broker (e.g. running in Geronimo1), you'd need to configure your JMS resources
in Geronimo2 to use TCP (VM transport won't work. You could use multicast or discovery protocol).
Something like:

  <resourceadapter-instance>
    <resourceadapter-name>arcgis-jms</resourceadapter-name>
    <config-property-setting name="ServerUrl">tcp://localhost:61616</config-property-setting>
    <nam:workmanager xmlns:nam="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/naming-1.2">
      <nam:gbean-link>DefaultWorkManager</nam:gbean-link>
    </nam:workmanager>
  </resourceadapter-instance>

A broker network would require G 2.2 (it would be very difficult/impossible to configure a
broker network on G 2.1.x). In var/activemq/conf/activemq.xml add:

<networkConnectors>
    <networkConnector uri="static://(tcp://localhost:61616,tcp://localhost:61626)" dynamicOnly="true"
networkTTL="5"/>
</networkConnectors>

> what kind of transport should I use? is simple VM possible?

In a broker network, VM transport is possible between client and broker. VM transport would
not work between brokers.

> is there any example of setting up such AMQ?

AMQ has examples. I don't think we have any examples set up in Geronimo.

--kevan