geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Jiang <genspr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo processes compared to WebSphere
Date Mon, 15 Mar 2010 02:02:07 GMT
On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 8:27 AM, jsguru72 <js@storta.net> wrote:

> I have used Tomcat for some time and I am now looking to expand to a full
> JavaEE application server.  There are so many to choose from and it seems
> everyone has their favorite.  This is not a "which is better" discussion.
>
> WebSphere appears to be the most common application server out there, but I
> would prefer to stick with something that is full open-source.  That brings
> me to my question about Geronimo.
>
> My understanding, and this may be wrong, is that Geronimo is to WebSphere
> CE
> what Fedora is to Red Hat Enterprise.  That is to say that WebSphere CE is
> sort of proprietary release of Geronimo.
>
> If that is the case, then my real question is, how close are the procedures
> that you follow between Geronimo and WebSphere CE (and by extension
> WebSphere proper)?

AFAIK, Apache Geronimo is available in several different flavors that can
differ by which open source components are used for the servlet container
(Jetty or Tomcat) and webservices (CXF or Axis2). While WAS CE is based on
the the version of Geronimo that uses Tomcat and Axis2.

>  If I were to use Geronimo and become familiar with it,
> would what I learn also apply to WebSphere, or are they completely
> different
> in that regard?

So, if you want to move from geronimo to WAS CE in the future, you'd better
choose geronimo version that based on Tomcat and Axis2.

> Same command(s) to start/stop the server?

Yes

> Same command to deploy an application?

Yes

> Same configuration files?

for Tomcat and Axis2 based geronimo.  Yes