geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Luciano Salotto <lsalo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo processes compared to WebSphere
Date Mon, 15 Mar 2010 12:30:22 GMT
On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 9:27 PM, jsguru72 <js@storta.net> wrote:

> I have used Tomcat for some time and I am now looking to expand to a full
> JavaEE application server.  There are so many to choose from and it seems
> everyone has their favorite.  This is not a "which is better" discussion.
>
> WebSphere appears to be the most common application server out there, but I
> would prefer to stick with something that is full open-source.  That brings
> me to my question about Geronimo.

Ok, I believe you might be speaking about WebSphere  Application Server 6.0,
6.1 or 7.0 product here, and that one is way different to Geronimo. It's a
fully propietary app server and as such it is no way open source. Then you
have WebSphere Application Server Community Edition, that's an IBM branded
version of  Apache Geronimo (Tomcat - Axis).

> My understanding, and this may be wrong, is that Geronimo is to WebSphere
> CE
> what Fedora is to Red Hat Enterprise.  That is to say that WebSphere CE is
> sort of proprietary release of Geronimo.

Your understanding is correct, but it's no propietary code, still will be
able to have the code by inspecting on Geronimo repositories. You can freely
download the installers from ibm.com and IBM will only sell you support and
maintenance stuff. Same thing happens with other Apache products: Apache
Derby - IBM Cloudscape, Apache HTTP Server - IBM HTTP Server, and there
might be a couple more.

> If that is the case, then my real question is, how close are the procedures
> that you follow between Geronimo and WebSphere CE (and by extension
> WebSphere proper)?  If I were to use Geronimo and become familiar with it,
> would what I learn also apply to WebSphere, or are they completely
> different
> in that regard?

Only problem with this is that IBM WAS CE will take a bit more of time to
release the newer version. For example current WAS CE is based on G2.1.4 and
there's already a G2.2 release out there. There are a bunch of WAS CE guys
here replaying questions so they might tell you what is the specific process
for this and what is the estimated delay between G release and WASCE
release.

> Same command(s) to start/stop the server?
> Same command to deploy an application?
> Same configuration files?
> etc..

All yes, as WASCE is based on G, it's basically the same.